About Curry leaves:
Curry leaves are widely used natural flavoring agent in our kitchens. It has a natural taste which makes your food both healthy and tasty along with this it also gives a pleasant aroma to your food. Due to its health benefits, it has been used in herbal medicines for several years. It is a very important herb in Ayurveda.
It has an antioxidant property which helps us in various stomach problems such as diarrhea, peptic ulcer, dysentery, diabetes, indigestion, and gastrointestinal problems. Along with stomach problems it also good for your heart, liver and hair loss. It contains many vitamins and micronutrients such as copper, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, vitamin A, vitamin B, and vitamin E and along with this; it also contains amino acid and glycosides. It has also anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial properties.
Curry Leaves Plant Description:
Curry tree is a small tree growing up to 4-6 cm in height. The flower of the plant is white in color and shows self-pollination. The leaves are aromatic and green in color. Each leaflet is 2-4cm long and 1-2 cm broad.
The scientific name of Curry tree is “Murraya koenigii spreng”. It belongs to the Rutaceae family. This plant mainly found in the tropical and sub-tropical region of India. It also cultivated by many other countries like Nigeria, Ceylon, and Australia. Mainly the leaves, roots, and bark of this plant are used as a medicinal point of view.
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Subkingdom: Tracheobionta
- Superdivision: Spermatophyta
- Division: Magnoliophyta
- Class: Magnoliopsida
- Subclass: Rosidae
- Order: Sapindales
- Family: Rutaceae
- Genus: Murraya
- Species: M. koenigii
Health Benefits of Curry leaves
Most of the people think that curry leaves are used as an only flavoring agent, but along with this plant has many medicinal properties. Curry leave offers many health benefits without any side effects.
- Antioxidant Property: curry leaves are a very good source of antioxidant. The vitamins like A, B, C, and E help in reducing the oxidative stress in our body and inhibit the activity of free radicals. In our body, there are several problems caused by the activity of free radical such as oxidative damage of cell.
- Cure Diarrhea: There are many alkaloids and minerals present in curry leaves which helps to protect many stomach problems. The alkaloids manly carbazole has the anti-diarrheal properties which help to cure diarrhea in people. In a lab experiment on rats, it is shown that curry leaves protect from castor oil-induced diarrhea.
- Cure Diabetes: Curry leaves have a very good anti-hyperglycemic property which helps to reduce the blood glucose level in your body. It basically cures type 2 diabetes in patients. It reduces the cell death of a pancreatic cell in your pancreas. The pancreatic cells are those which helps to produce the insulin in your body and ultimately reduce the blood glucose level.
- Cure Gastrointestinal Problems: One of the best benefits of curry leaves in your stomach. Curry leaves have a very good laxative property which helps to cure the gastrointestinal problem. The gastrointestinal problems, mainly associated with your esophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine, colon, and rectum. To cure this problem you should add a paste of curry leaves into buttermilk and take it every morning on an empty stomach. This will definitely provide relief from gastrointestinal problems.
- Inhibit Hair Loss: Due to excessive use of chemicals, poor diet and artificial products the hair follicles become weak and there is a sometimes severe problem of hair loss. Curry leaves have the very good amount of beta-carotene and proteins which helps to make your scalp healthy and also promote the growth of hairs.
- Chemo and Radio Protective Activity: Some extract of curry leaves help to protect your body from chemotherapy and radiotherapy by reducing its effects. Along with this, it helps to protect your body from chromosomal disruption, free radical damage and also protects bone marrow.
- Help to Lose Weight: Curry leaves are very good for peoples who are suffering from obesity and weight gain. If you add 5 grams of curry leaf powder in lukewarm water and consume it during empty stomach. It will definitely help you in treating obesity problems. Curry leaves have the very good amount of alkaloids name mahanimbine, which has anti-obesity property. It also helps to reduce the number of lipids, cholesterol, and triglyceride in your body. Which directly helps you to control your body weight.
- Low Cholesterol Level: Curry leaves help reduce the bad cholesterol level (LDL) from your body and protect your heart. LDL is bad cholesterol, which increases the risk of heart attack in your body. So curry leaves are very good for your heart.
- Detoxify Your Body: If you are chewing and eating the curry leaves, then it will help you to detoxify the various harmful products from your body. It also helps to burn more calories and inhibits the accumulation of fats in your body.
- Improve Eyesight: Curry leaves contain a very good amount of vitamin A. which helps to improve your eyesight. Vitamin A contains carotenoids which protect your cornea. The deficiency of vitamin A in human cause night blindness. So curry leaves are very good for you to improve your vision.
DR. Vikram Chauhan, MD – AYURVEDA is an expert Ayurvedic practitioner based in Chandigarh, India and doing his practice in Mohali, India. He is spreading the knowledge of Ayurveda Ancient healing treatment, not only in India but also abroad. He is the CEO and Founder of Planet Ayurveda Products, Planet Ayurveda Clinic and Krishna Herbal Company.